Tuesday 13 May 2014

Asian Noodle Salad


This is a very light and filling salad recipe. I love making it when I’m in mood to eat a cold noodle dish in summers. It’s been a great hit with my friends. I love the fresh flavours bursting from mix of lemon juice, coriander and garlic accentuated by the nuttiness of the sesame oil.
 

Recently we started a little kitchen garden on our terrace. Coriander, being the fastest to grow, is the first 'fruit' of the effort and believe me organic home grown coriander gives a far more aromatic flavour than the one from the market.


I will keep you posted on the latest harvest of our little garden...in the mean while enjoy this super addictive salad.
 

 

Ingredients
2 cups cooked egg noodles (just follow boiling instructions on the pack)
¾ cup boiled julienned carrots
¾ cup julienned green pepper
1 tomato, finely sliced (without seeds)
½ cup mung bean sprouts (the long variety)
½ cup julienned cucumber
¼ cup finely chopped fresh coriander

Dressing
1 tsbp soy sauce
 tbsp good quality sesame seed oil
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp white malt vinegar
2 tbsp sweet chilli plum sauce
1 tbsp red chilli sauce
2 large cloves of garlic
1 tsp red chilli flakes ( as hot as you like it) you could also mix and match with green chillies
Salt to taste

Tip: When boiling noodles always ensure to add a good amount of salt in the water and always add noodles to boiling water. When cooked always wash under cold water after draining
 

Method

Take a small bowl and whisk together all ingredients of the In a mixing bowl put all the ingredients add the dressing. In a salad bowl put all the remaining ingredients of the salad, add the dressing and toss well. Keep in the refrigerator for an hour for the salad to chill and dressing to be absorbed.

One can experiment with a lot of variations in this salad, from adding crushed peanuts to add to the nuttiness of the sesame oil. You could also add finely sliced ginger to the dressing, it add the extra tang to the salad. Add cooked prawns or boiled and shredded chicken; however, insure to increase the quantity of the dressing!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I Juggle between being a finance professional by the day, a daughter, wife and new mommy in the balance of the hours. In between this whenever I get some time, I love spending it in my favourite place in the house - "My Kitchen". I love reading and collecting cooking books, watching food shows and trying out new recipes off stuff that I may have read or seen or got an inspiration from.